Skip to main content

Who Is Your Idol?

   Idol might be a strong word but we all have someone we idolize, someone we want to be like someone we love and admire. It might even be multiple people and this person might change as we get older.
     When I was little I mimicked my mom and my mom's friend Sarah. When we would do anything I would try to parent my dolls just like they would us kids. I also tried to act like some of the older girls I knew and liked. I also would pretend to be whatever I was into, princesses, Laura Ingells, Nancy Drew, Marcia Brady, Anne of Green Gables and so many others.
      Now that I am a little bit older I have others I look up too,  there is a lady in our church who is a beautiful christ loving woman, a fantastic wife and mother, and has a surperb, classy fashion sense who I really look up too. I still look up to my mom, grandmothers, and other important, amazing women that have blessed my life.
      The thing is, everyone in your life is going to influence you a little bit or sometimes a big bit and there are things you can learn from everyone.  The one major problem I have to constantly be asking God to help me with is to accept all people for who the are and not assume anything,  chances are you will be wrong when you do this.
    Another key thing on this topic is you are a role model to somebody. This has really been on my heart lately as I look around at all the little kids God has graciously placed in my life and I often have to do some reflection and make sure that I am setting a good example. This requires constant prayer and asking God to help you keep your focous on him so the people around you see his light through you.
     Bottom line is God has given you an amazing life with amazing people, go meet them and celebrate being alive in the beauty of creation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What I am Learning as a Student Rep

    Student Representative? What's that? It is a great  role that one girl and one boy run for every year at my co-op. Last year two of my wonderful friends were elected. Rachel and Jakob did a fantastic job. They are part of the reason I decided to run for Student Rep this year.     To start this road of politics I had to write a speech. I spent some time trying to figure out what I wanted to say. I knew what I wanted to say, but I felt like I couldn't phrase it convincingly enough. In the end I decided to state a few ideas I had and not over promise. I went with the idea that we could worry about the election and then go from there with what we wanted to do as a group.     It was a fun election and in the end I was elected the girl student rep. Luke, the boy student rep won as well and he is such a great guy to work with. I have enjoyed getting to know him and sharing ideas back and forth. Luke is so funny, smart and has fantastic ideas about what ...

Travel Blog: Spring Getaway to the Farm

"Home Sweet Home is never truer, than after a trip. No matter how long or how short. No matter how good and memorable. There is nothing happier than walking through the rooms in your home, letting all the familiar things greet you. The home watched the chaos of packing and preparing for your adventure and it is there to greet the tired and exhausted you, when you come home. It watches as you unpack your bags and sink into your favorite chair and smile at the pictures. It sings you to sleep as you drift off with the happy memories of your trip." ~ Erika Laulainen  Our family just returned from a marvelous trip to my great grandparents tree farm. We went to spend some time with my Great-Grandmother and Grandparents.  We left Friday after the morning craziness of work, some school, packing, cleaning the house, and any other little chores that needed  to be finished. Loading all the suitcases, bags, and other various paraphernalia into our car, we then did a last c...

Having the Heart of Mary

  At the beginning of this glorious advent season our pastor posed this thought. "Have the heart of Mary." He did an excellent sermon on this idea and it got me going on my own study. (I love those moments when you are deeply inspired to really search and study God's word)   Mary has always been my favorite character in the Christmas story (yes aside from Jesus, but he already has my heart and now I am learning to have Mary's) These last few years I think I have paid more attention to her because she could have been close to my age. I had the fairly normal thoughts of She was planning on being married by now. I couldn't imagine being married at this point in my life. She was so brave.  Yes, all of these things are true. However, there is more to Mary as you dig deeper.   For me I had to look at Mary in a more personal light. How about this? You are young girl/woman from the line of David, living in your hometown, doing life as you always have, you are pledged to...